Monday, May 4, 2009

Why Do I Blog?

I created RoadKill and published my first post on March 15/09.

Some say they blog to be heard - for me it’s more about learning to express myself, having a space where I can do that. You may never know if anyone at all is reading your blog - but the offering for me is the important part. And miraculously, the more I do this, the more I step forward through whatever fear or hesitation may arise, the more I feel I have to offer. There is no benefit to keeping your insights (or your kindness, or your humor, or your love) to yourself. The world needs all the wisdom that is out there - mine and yours. Don’t think that you have nothing to contribute - everyone has a gift that they can share.

Blogging helps me to clarify what it is that I care about, what attracts me and how I might move towards that. It expands my awareness and my consciousness. Not every item I find (or every book I read, or every thought in my mind) gets to the blog, but the process encourages me to think beyond my own interest or enjoyment to “would that benefit someone else?” My circle of compassion grows.

Most of my posts so far are links to articles or websites. One of my blogging goals will be to find and cultivate my own voice, putting things in my own words. But passing others’ wisdom along is a good start - it too is a way of expressing what I care about, what moves or inspires me, what makes me laugh - maybe someone else cares about that too but feels they are the only one or doesn’t know how to take that caring forward. Every bit of insight, warmth, humor, kindness, etc., that you put out into the world is that much more goodness in the world, and that is what we all need to do, each in our own way.

And you know what else? It's really fun.

Well, maybe I do have a voice after all.

ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering

there is a crack, a crack in everything

that's how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen


~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment