Thursday, June 18, 2009

Don't Settle

Flipping through a magazine at the hairdresser's today, came across an article which had some quotes which I thought were worth writing down. The article was about taking risks:

"You may be surprised by what happens when you commit to an uncertain outcome - your strengths will reveal themselves."

"Peer into the unknown and you will find yourself face to face with possibility - and potential."

then later that same day, settled down into cyberspace and got this from Lateral Action - article is very short and to the point, and comments are so moving... hey, as long as you're reading this post, it's not too late!

Here's the Lateral Action message:

When I was young, I wanted to be a rock star.
Not a pseudo-celebrity social media rock star...
A real rock star.
I didn’t become a rock star because I didn’t try.
I told myself I couldn’t do it, or maybe I was simply afraid to fail.
Knowing what I know now, I know I could have done it.
Knowing what I know now, I know I can do anything I truly want to do.
Not that it’ll be easy… just that it’s doable.
Listen.
Skip directly to what you truly want to do.
Don’t substitute.
Don’t settle.
Do it.

For the comments, click here. Myself, if I have any regrets at all in my life, it's not about what I did, but what I didn't do.

There's also an excellent article (manifesto) on the ChangeThis site called alternately How to Be Creative or Ignore Everybody - it's a rather long article (pdf format) but the author has some very interesting strategies for living the life you want - one of my favorites, apart from the advice to ignore everybody, is the "stop-doing list" - similar to a "to-do" list but, well I 'm sure you can figure that out.

nothing is confined except what's in your mind

~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment