Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Who Says You Have To Finish What You Start?

The little voice in your head shrilling that you must finish what you start may sound like your own by now, but I bet it didn't start out that way. I bet it started out sounding like your mother, your teachers, your boss ....

But good news - Pace and Kyeli of Freak Revolution, with the whole-hearted endorsement of yours truly, hereby give all my loyal readers, and all their loyal readers, all our friends, and everyone everywhere, permission to just stop. Yeah, you heard it, just stop. I'll let Kyeli explain:

Ever felt like you have to finish something, simply because you started it? Food, a journey, a book, a movie? That's called "sunk cost", and it's bullshit.

Once, Pace and I were going to Dallas for the weekend. (I can't remember why, anymore.) We were about 1/3rd of the way there when it came up that neither of us were really looking forward to the weekend. We mused about going home, but we'd already driven about an hour and gone about 75 miles. We might as well keep going - even though it'd take another 2.5 hours to get there!

Hold on a minute. I said, "Why would we do that? It seems dumb to go that far for that long when neither of us want to do it anymore."

Pace looked at me and said, "You're totally right. I was attached to going because we've already started, but that's dumb."

And we turned the car around and went home.

There's no need to finish something just because you're already part-way through. If you're unhappy, bored, or no longer looking forward to it, stop. Just stop. Go do something else with your precious time and energy - something you'll enjoy!

~~~~
I say let's ban the word "should" from our inner dictionary! Let's use "want to" instead! Anyone with me?
~~~~

1 comment: