Saturday, April 24, 2010

How To Get Free When You're Feeling Stuck and Scared

A little bird told me

Well, actually it told Julie Roads, owner/founder of Writing Roads, who tells this delightful story on Copyblogger. 

A chickadee had become trapped inside her house, frantically trying to get out and in its panic failing to notice the wide open window through which it could easily fly away.  In recounting the bird's (and her own) escalating panic, confusion and ultimate escape to freedom, Julie deftly weaves this tiny drama into a lesson for anyone anywhere who feels stuck and scared. When, as she puts it, you're too scared to stop what you're doing, even though you know it's pointless.
~~~~
I recognized her self-inflicted entrapment, and I recognized the joy of her freedom.  I said to myself, I want more of that, I want more of finding the way forward, to the good stuff.
~~~~

She kindly provides pointers to help us find our open window:
  • Take yourself out of the equation
  • Calm down
  • Try something new
  • Ask for help
Oh, and the bird?  When Julie looked outside about an hour later she found that the bird had crapped on her window.  But Julie was able to forgive immediately because she understood:  "Sometimes this stuff scares the crap out of me too."

This article is well written, funny and straight from the heart.  Read it HERE - guaranteed to brighten your day.

~~~~
I want to fly like an eagle to the sea
fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle, till I'm free
fly right into the future
- Steve Miller Band

~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment